We are each called to be good role models


Every Wednesday I have Mass with the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur at their retirement convent in Reading, Ohio.
I was taught in grade school by the Sisters of Notre Dame.  This past Wednesday we had a Mass of Christian Burial for Sister Marie.  She was one month shy of celebrating her 100th birthday.  When I read the obituary in the Cincinnati Enquirer the day before the funeral, I read that she had once been known as Sister James Marie.  I suddenly realized that she had taught me in the third grade in 1944-45.  I was only nine years old.  She had an important role in who I am today.
Having Sr. James Marie’s funeral reminded me again about how much our mom and dad, grandparents, aunts and uncles, neighbors, and teachers helped form us into the persons we are today.  The values we have, the way we think, the attitudes that influence the way we live all are so dependent on these people from our earliest years of life.  If we were blessed to have good role models among these people, we should be very grateful.  We also need to be very slow in judging others because they may not have been as lucky as we in who they had as their role models. 
I remember that Sr. James Marie is the only teacher who ever gave me an F grade in school.  It was in music, and I had a bad attitude at the time about music.  I sort of had that jock attitude.  After my parents corrected me for receiving an F during that six-week grading period, my attitude changed.  I learned a valuable lesson and never received a grade less than an A or B the rest of my life as a student.
The lesson I learned from Sr. James Marie caused me to think of other such learning experiences while growing up.  One that makes me smile is a lesson my mom taught me.  I was a little guy; I forget exactly how old.  I was complaining to her about how unhappy I was living at home.  She and dad were unfair to me, etc., etc.  Mom suggested that maybe I should just move somewhere else.  She took my hand, lead me to one of our cupboards, took a little suitcase off the shelf, lead me into my bedroom, and filled up the suitcase with some of my clothes.  She then led me to our porch and told me she hoped I would find a nice home where I would be happier.  She kissed me and told me I was welcome to return anytime.  I sat on the suitcase on the porch and started to cry.  I was busted.  Mom called my bluff.  I didn’t have a clue what to do.  Eventually mom came out the door and asked if I wanted to stay home.  I had learned a lesson.  Don’t bluff your mom or anyone else.
I suggest each of us thank God for the parents, relatives, neighbors, teachers, and other good people He gave us to help show us the right way to live.  And we need to remember that we are each called to be good role models to the children (and adults) of today.
Fr. John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog